This project is read-only.

Huge Problems

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Ok, so I've been trying to upgrade our project for a while now and am just running into problem after problem.

 

I had to upgarde from 3.7 to 3.7 SP4 and managed to finally get that completed, (but with about 20-30 of my pages dieing, but thats another issue).  So I'm now Running 3.7 SP4 .NET 3.5

1) Your instructions and latest version are configured for 4.0 (you might want to upgrade the instructions on how to change to 3.5 and that reference to System.Web.ApplicationServices needs to be removed) If system.web.applicationservice is needed then how does one upgrade from .net 3.5 to .4 without causing issues to the system.

2) Migration Module returns -2xxxxxx users.

3) the migration seemed to have worked, but it skipped all the users.

3) None of the images load on the pages, so every pages needs to be updated

4) half the controls used couldn't be imported so I have to go through and fix them all up and resign a few as well.

 

Can anyone help me get the migration working correctly.

 

Thank you

Regards

Byron

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:14 PM

I used these instructions from 3.7 SP4 .Net 3.5 to SF 4.0 .Net 4.0 and nothing really changed except the system.web.applicationservice reference (I just killed it and moved on).

That's weird that the migration module is returning a negative number for users - can you post a screenshot?

The images, depending upon where they live in the system, aren't migrated automatically.  What I did was uncheck the box to migrate themes, and I moved those over manually.  I kept them in the App_Themes directory instead of using the App_Data directory (I don't know if that's good or not, but it seemed like a good practice to me).  Then I went into the SF Admin interface and added the themes manually, and all of the images popped back into place.  If they are in an image library, it may be a different story - where do they live?

The majority of the 3.7 controls aren't going to be migrated over due to the vast changes in the API - we've had to modify all of our controls to call into the new API.  If you know your namespaces aren't going to change, you can uncheck the box that replaces error-prone controls with content areas and upon correct implementation with respect to the new API, they fall into place.  It took me a couple of migration attempts to get that one straight, but I guess there's no real option.

The other thing I noticed was that there are some styling implications of the new system - a content area is wrapped with a div so if your styling rules are looking for a direct child, keep that in mind.

Let me know if I can be of further help - it's painful and not an easy task, but I guess we are migrating to a totally new platform so that's to be expected.

Sam